Saturday, January 10, 2009

To School...to School...off to School we go!

Well, we took three weeks off! Ah, Home School! We can pick our vacation days!!!! I decided that since the two weeks we took off for Christmas were so jam packed with Holiday events, we just needed some down time and I needed to plan what we are doing next!

We have been reading a little bit and doing somethings here and there like beginning a science curriculum.

I have begun reading them The Tale of Despereaux: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup, and a Spool of Thread. I saw the advertisement on TV that the movie was coming out and thought that maybe I could read it to them and they could see the difference between a well written book and a movie of the book. We shall see. I really love Kate Dicamillo. She wrote because of Winn Dixie and several other great books! We are reading it at night before they go to bed.

Our next geography study will be in India. I have spent several days this past week getting everything we need to begin. I planned to begin it this coming week but then realized the girls are going to be super busy with their co-ops and new play practice that they will be in this spring. So, we will begin that the week after next.

My plan is to get the rest of our schooling started though...back to the grindstone.

I have been trying to weigh the curriculumn that we are using now, to start planning for next year. Trying to figure out what is working and what is not is a huge struggle. In some ways, I feel like I am holding Hannah back, so I will hopefully be able to give her some more challenging things to do this spring and summer.

You know...I love homeschooling...it's been hard with everything we've had to endure this last year, but I know it's worth it. I have an awesome homeschool group that I am involved with that is so supportive. I have been blessed with great friends who are on this journey with me and I am so thankful.

Chad and I have had our own struggles trying to make this all work, but we have found some common ground and are committed to being role models for our children. We want the best for them in every way possible, so to that end we are fixing things that need fixing and changing things that need changing and just trying our best to love each other through it all. God has had His hand on us and I am very humbled that He keeps us in His care always.

So...on to the next half of the school year! Hope you enjoy the ride with us!

No comments: