Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Its Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

Ugggg...I am tired already. From the time we arrived home from Thanksgiving holidays in Tupelo, I have been running. Unpacking, laundry, planning school, keeping up with Christmas gifts, planning for co-op, feeding the babies, Upward's basket ball and cheerleading, Christmas parties, Homeschool meetings, parades to prepare for, I am wiped....I don't ever stop. We'll I guess you can call this a break...blogging!

Autumn is watching her new videos from Baby Signing Time...and lovin them. She is being sucked right in. She was so cute today, when I was on the phone with my Dad, I was telling him how she had started signing milk...then she signed it right after I said it. After months and months....finally!

So we came back home and I had nothing planned yet. So, Sunday night I dove right in to figure out what we would do for December. I decided we would take off doing our regular studying and do some fun theme things. First we started on our Candy Cane Lapbook. We learned about what a legend was and how candy canes were made.

Hannah's Lapbook

Mikayla's Lapbook

We learned some new vocabulary words: invitation, misery, confections, legend, lumber, tailor, gleaming and pure. We also learned about where the candy cane was thought to be first made in Cologne, Germany and about where it was first brought to the US in Wooster, Ohio. So we did a little geography lesson. For our Math, we made a graph with some candy counting.

We also studied the Bible verse Isaiah53:5 : By His stripes, we are healed. They had some copy work, by copying some of Psalms 23. Then we compared how a Shepperd was like Jesus. We talked about alliteration and how it was a repetition of beginning consonant sounds in two or more words or syllables that are close to one another in a sentence.

That was pretty much what we started studying Monday and Tuesday.

Today, we began a Lapbook on the Night Before Christmas by Clement C. Moore. It brought back fond memories of the story of when I was a child being read this book. We talked more about similes and his use of them in the descriptions of Santa Clause. We did some rhyming practice with some of the words in the book. The girls cut out the reindeer pictures and alphabetized them. We talked about how the book was really a poem put into a book with illustrations. We discussed what a couplet was and found some examples in the book. We learned that it wasn't only about having a rhyming ending but also how the rhythm of the sentences needed to be about the same too.

We also took some key words from the night before Christmas and together came up with a story that I wrote while they dictated. They did a great job! We went over more vocabulary words that were in this book as well: Twas, Sugarplums, Nestled, Kerchief, Clatter, Sash, Coursers, Tarnished, Peddler, Droll, Dread, Ere. Some of these words I needed refreshing on...smile!

We also did a picture walk through The Little Drummer Mouse, then read it to see if what we thought the pictures were saying matched the story. We have been skimping on science this week, so we did a science folder that taught them the life cycle of a frog and butterfly. We also made candy pretzels so that has to count for something more than calories right???

We've also been taking off from our regular math books and doing some Christmas worksheets, practicing money and our addition facts.

Tomorrow we will be finishing up our Lapbook with reviewing our vocabulary words, doing a word search, drawing Santa, making a Christmas tree pop-up, doing a story sequence with sentence strips and writing Santa a letter (handwriting) and probably practicing our time.

We also will be preparing for our upcoming co-op that we will be hosting next week. Friday is the big Brandon Christmas parade. The girls are riding a float. They have been practicing for weeks. I am exhausted though.

I better get off and feed my sweet baby girl...she is crawling all over me. I will post the lapbook pictures when I have a breather!

No comments: