Wednesday, February 25, 2009

We are marching into Russia!

After a week off of school we are back to the grindstone. Hannah's birthday was a few weekends ago and to help her celebrate it, her cousin came down for a week. The girls played so much together. It was good for them. I think they were exhausted after the week was over after so much together time and no sleep.

Hannah was baptized last Sunday in an amazing children's baptism service. I love our church and the way they really make things happen the right way. After a 5 week class where Hannah learned about what salvation was about...she knows the decision she has made is real. It was really awesome!
After the service was over they had a nice ceremony with cake and punch. Then they gave them each a NIV Adventure Bible with their name engraved on it. How cool! What a way to start them off on their journey with Jesus.

We started back to school this week, but lightly. Monday, I got up and the girls and I helped my best friend celebrate her birthday at Cracker Barrell. Then, Tuesday they had a field trip to the bakery where they learned about the King Cake. They were able to have a sample and I have to say...yum! We forgot we were going to be there on Fat Tuesday. We just don't keep up with all that fun stuff...smile!

We've been studying Russia in Galloping the Globe. Learning about Moscow and St. Petersburg, their flag, important people and places there. We've learned that Russia is in both Asia and Europe and the Ural Mountains are the seperating line between the two. We've been reading literature from Russian authors or about Russia. The girls drew some narration pictures from a story I read them today. They are doing quite well! We plan to make homemade pretzels next week with our Russia study!

We've gone back lite this week, as I am waiting for some new curriculumn to come in. I am very excited about us using it even though it means us back tracking a bit. It won't be that big of a deal since we hope to school through the summer...even if its lightly.

Softball is about to start and we had our first meeting with the parents last night. I thought it went well. I think we are going to have a great group of girls and parents. I am excited to see what they are capable of this year.

That's all for today...I am so ready for Spring!

No comments: