Saturday, November 15, 2008

My sewing adventures

So...after making the girls costumes...I am thinking...I really need to start sewing. So, not trying to venture out to big...I decide I am going to make Autumn a little diaper bag...nothing fancy...just simple to practice my reading of pattern directions and such. Well, obviously, I do not know how to read directions...or only like to skim through. I knew this about myself before but I put it to the test with this bag.

Only after bringing my project half done to Paula's to help me figure out where I had gone wrong...did I see where the problem lay. She pointed out a sentence in the directions that I totally skipped. How did I not see it? I think my brain moves faster than my mind allows me to read. So...I will be ripping out the seams to fix it. I am bound and determined to get this thing done so she can have it for December....its a must...it has snowmen on it!!!

Officially I have declared myself a "HANDS ON LEARNER". I like to touch and feel things...not read...but as we all know...we have to read it anyways!

So, not dissuaded, I headed to Hobby Lobby tonight to buy more "EASY" patterns for me to practice. I just had to.... they were .99. How could I resist! Now...the hard part...picking out material...that I don't mind messing up...but that the girls are willing to wear!

I did discover Hobby Lobby has some of the cutest material...but at 5.99 a yard...that's a little pricey for a novice! So I will be scanning the $1 racks for a while, at least til I am a little more steady in my adventures!

Hannah wants to learn how to sew. Next year she will be able to take the sewing class with 4-H. This will be great for both of us! What a gift to know how to sew...just think of all the money we could save by her sewing her own clothes...well, its wishful thinking anyways!

Wala! My Bag! Much smaller than I had imagined...but good practice just the same!

No comments: